Monday, May 12, 2008

farewell to duke

Duke, our big orange tabby, died today. I took him to our vet and had him euthanized. He had a huge tumor growing in his throat that made it in the last few days impossible for him to breathe or drink or eat. Nonetheless, he put up a good fight going into the carrying crate. Duke was a strong willed animal to the end.
We had him for 16 years. I got him the day before Thanksgiving when my son was in first grade. He had been tossed from a moving car that was flying through the parking lot of my gym. He was a young cat, about six months old. He came right over to me when I called him and he lived very happily with us ever since.
Duke was what they call an outdoor cat because he didn't love staying in the house. He was out in all weathers, including blizzards. For years he loved killing things, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, voles, birds. He broke my heart a few times with his murdering and it angered me that he didn't always eat what he killed. But that's a cat for you. With us, he was always a model of affection. He was always very loving and deeply enjoyed being petted. 
I don't think we'll get another cat for awhile. We still have our dogs, Gigi and Basil,  and we have Leo, the Turkish Van cat who appeared at the edge of our woods many years ago. Leo is old, as well, although exactly how old I cannot say. He loved Duke, and undoubtedly will miss him, but I don't think he'd cotton that well now to another feline. 
I asked to have Duke cremated and they'll call me when his ashes are ready. I'll have to find the right place in the yard to bury them. It hasn't hit me yet that Duke is really gone. For years I've said how great it will be to get through a night without having to open or close the front door for him, but I wonder if I'll be able to sleep as I will still be listening for him.

No comments: