Friday, December 28, 2012

Kindness is the best New Year's resolution


It all began with something Ann Curry, a correspondent with NBC news, posted on Twitter. “Commit to kindness,” she wrote. A movement known as #26Acts, spurred by Ms. Curry, invites participants to commit daily acts of kindness. After the horrific shootings in Newtown, the hashtagged movement is being spread virally around the world via Facebook and Twitter.
It is a seemingly unkind world we live in, judging by current headlines. As I am writing this, the news of the day includes reports of a man killing two men and one woman before being killed himself in a gunfight with state troopers in Pennsylvania; a surge in bulletproof backpack sales; cluster bombs being used on civilians in Syria; and the Al Qaeda-related kidnapping in Northern Nigeria of a French citizen. It’s impossible to turn on any news at all without feeling a sense of fear or despair. And yet tiny fragments of positivity evidence themselves every day. About a week ago Kim of Kim’s Bagels in Mount Kisco posted on Facebook about helping an older woman who had fallen in the street. The SPCA of Westchester was thrilled to announce 45 adoptions of cats and dogs from the shelter last week. Personally I thought it very kind that Dan, the manager of Tazza Café in Katonah, gave me a card granting me a free drink, and that Gail from The Paintbox gifted me with a framed copy of recent story that ran about me in another newspaper. Almost every day someone does or says something nice or kind to me; I try to do my part to do the same.
Years ago there was a popular bumper sticker that said, “Commit random acts of kindness.” I’m not sure what constitutes a random act, or if random acts are more special or significant than methodical or systematic ones. I think it’s probably the act itself that counts, whether planned, or spontaneous. It’s a little sad people have to be reminded to be kind, and it should be noted that the one kind act you push yourself to do every day will not cancel out five unkind ones.
For the last few years on Christmas Day, I’ve taken a few hours to go over to the gymnasium at the old St. Mary’s school, now Montfort Academy. That is the site of an annual event known as The Christmas Dinner, which benefits Westchester’s homeless. A traditional Christmas dinner is served, followed by the distribution of gifts. The event is made possible by an enormous squadron of volunteers and the generosity of many caterers and restaurants who provide the food, as well as the dozens of local residents who plan and work and clean up after the event. A couple of years ago I was brought to near tears by a young girl who was over the moon excited to receive a toothbrush, a pair of socks, and a very inexpensive backpack (certainly not bullet proof). Every year I am reminded how little it takes to make some people happy. Sometimes it’s just a serving of candied sweet potatoes donated by William Nicholas.
This Christmas is a little extra poignant because it is a landmark event. We moved into our home in December 1987 and this is the 25th Christmas in our house. Our son was 5 months old when we moved in; he is now a grown man with a job and a life and a girlfriend and an apartment. I wonder how many more years he will be able to join us. Past Christmas’s are a blur of toys, noise, pancakes for breakfast, and prime rib. And Yorkshire Pudding, which I duly make every year. While there has been a lot of joy around the day, some years it took extra effort.  There was the year that two good men, Kit Combes and George McTavey, died Christmas week and I had to write their obits. There was the year my poor mother in law dwindled away in hospice in her home in California and my husband completely missed Christmas. Twenty three ago I was still grieving at Christmas for a child I miscarried at Thanksgiving. And then there was the year I cajoled my reluctant husband into helping me set up a large, live, cumbersome Christmas tree that toppled over in its stand, only to have him throw up his hands and shout he would have nothing to do with it. For a few years afterward, the only greenery we had was wreaths.
Twenty five years is a long time to celebrate a holiday in one place. Every few years I threaten we should spend Christmas in the Caribbean, except I know it wouldn’t be the same without the pets. This year as an act of random kindness, Mr. Sax agreed to let me pick our tree; I chose a very shiny, very fake, silver one that looks very tinsel-y. It reminds me of a tree my mother bought the first year she and I were living alone on our own in a rented house in Woodbury, N.J. Under the tree that year was a pair of white go-go boots, knocks offs of the ones made famous by the fashion designer Andre Courreges who featured them in his fall ’64 collection. Under our silver tree this year is a near embarrassing array of riches; bags from Tom’s in Katonah and Ebba and kdstudio and Bedford House and Kellogg’s & Lawrence, and Charles Department Store. We’re very lucky. 
Happy New Year to all my fans and readers. And God bless.




No comments: